Kawempe National Referral Hospital was established on the 1st July 2018 by cabinet minute No. 231 (CT 2018) as a National Referral Hospital in a bid to decongest Mulago National Referral Hospital. The hospital is located in Kawempe Division which is seven kilometers from the city Center. It is the most populous Division of Kampala Capital City Authority. The core mandate of the hospital includes clinical care in Obstetrics & Gynecology, Paediatric, adolescent health, HIV/AIDS care, dental; and offer research and training in the above clinical areas in line with the ministry of Health Policy. Makerere University John-Hopkins research collaboration (MUJHU) is supporting Kawempe National Referral Hospital (KNRH) to implement the UgandaEMR in the Hospital. The project is funded by the European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) and will support training mentorship, and technical supervision for hospital staff; equipment; and Human resource recruitment to enable installation and use of the Uganda EMR to capture service delivery data and reporting in the hospital. The project also aims to collect data to inform future observational and clinical studies in the hospital. Therefore, the Kawempe National Referral Hospital invites suitable applicants to fill the following vacant positions on contract basis under the above-mentioned project.
JOB TITLE: MEDICAL RECORDS ASSISTANT
DEPARTMENT: Medical Records
REPORTS TO: Biostatistician
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Electronic Records Management System.
Duration: 2 years
To manage records and information on patients and ensure functionality of the Electronic Records Management System (EMR). .
• Patient’s records received, documented and stored.
• Records and Electronic record systems periodically updated.
• Safety and confidentiality of data maintained.
• Records/information on patients availed to authorized persons.
• Periodic reports submitted.
• Enter data from source documents into the hospital’s electronic medical record system.
• Work closely with hospital staff to ensure completeness of source documents and electronic records.
• Ensure records on patients are received, documented and properly stored.
• Ensuring confidentiality and safety of records.
• Availing records/information on patients to authorized persons.
• Ensuring that essential equipment and other supplies are available and are properly kept.
• Mentor hospital staff to enter data into project electronic medical record system.
• Ensure data entry coverage for project sites at all times including participation in 24/7 duty roster at the maternity unit.
• If on night/after-hours shifts, support hospital staff to retrieve files and enter data in maternity register.
• Participate in project specific meetings to present work flow and challenges.
• Perform any other job related duties that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• Must have a Diploma in Computer Science/ Information Technology and Computing or Medical Records Management from a recognized institution.
• A degree in the above mentioned is an added advantage.
• A minimum of two years’ work experience in a recognized health institution in a similar field is also required.
• The ideal candidate should be an innovative team player able to work with minimum supervision.
Job Education: Diploma in Computer Science/ Information Technology
Job application procedure
Applications with complete CV, copies of academic certificates and testimonials to be addressed to
The Executive Director
Kawempe National Referral Hospital
P.O. Box 3253, Bombo Road
Applications should be hand delivered to: The Office of the Principal Human Resources Officer at Kawempe National Hospital, NOT later than Friday 16th February, 2020.
Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Receive emails for the latest jobs matching your search criteria